03 July 2011

A Family Affair


Mum and I raised our chilled glasses of Sauvignon Blanc to Joi’s bottle of Coca-Cola. A toast, to pushing the limits. This was undoubtedly the mantra for our weekend getaway in Cairns. I haven’t quite figured out what is in the Ozzie air that forces visitors to live beyond their usual boundaries and fall in love with life all over again. But before I admit to my reoccurring addiction to adrenaline or share tales of Mum braving the ocean, let me begin with our travel nightmares.

Mum & Joi’s stay differed from the itinerary that I shared in The Countdown. Since my two favorite ladies were scheduled to fly into Sydney, we had planned to meet up in Cairns in what should have been two days later. I’ll get to that. Mum & Joi would then accompany me to the Gold Coast for two nights before returning to Sydney in time for their flight back to the States. It seemed all too simple; the airlines were destined to screw something up. Like Delta not allowing any standby passengers to board despite 51 available seats, delaying their arrival by one day and temporarily misplacing Mum’s bag; JetStar using international terminals for Domestic flights to Cairns, requiring a passport and rerouting all of my travel plans since I didn’t have mine on hand; and JetStar losing Mum’s bag, then taking an entire day to courier the bag.

I could imagine how your head is spinning from those trifling details, so I won’t keep you from the photos any longer. Images appear in order of our travels. You know the drill, click to enlarge. Enjoy!

[9,000 ft. Skydive, 1-minute that changed my life.]
Already searching for my next adrenaline rush!



[A stint at Cairns Central, a dash of poolside escapades]
and a stroll through the Esplanade Markets.



[Scenic drive up the coast to Port Douglas, conversing about]
ambition and life changes. Aren't we cute?



[Off to snorkel the Great Barrier Reef at the Quicksilver Marine Center,] 
90-minute boat ride to the middle of the Coral Sea. Stylin' in Lycra =).
*Mum, I'm so proud of you for snorkeling, that first peek was a doozy!



[No trip to Oz is complete without seeing Koalas and Roos,]
or precious time with the Adlers. One big, happy family!



[And here's the lovely Jadie, my Ozzie lil' sister, hugging 'Fluffy'.]
Mum bought her a Build-a-Bear, Joi kissed the heart before it was stuffed.



Cheers, let's drink.

10 comments:

ryanne oh so sassy said...

OMG JOI is so darn BIG!!!!! look @ mom!!! i miss u guys soo much!!!

Nya Anne said...

Hi, beautiful! Don't worry, we'll be reunited soon =). And yes, Joi reminds me of how big she's gotten everytime she sees me. I can always anticipate the short jokes when I'm around these two. LOL.

ryanne oh so sassy said...

LOL

Anonymous said...

I embarked on this visit to Australia with the sole intention of visiting my beautiful Babee. Okay, maybe take in a few sights...I was a tourist after all. Instead, I fell in love with the country and the spirit of freedom, challenge, change and risk that it evokes.

Despite our travel snafus, this adventure was one of the best vacations I've had....I'm torn between this an St. Maarten.

I found clarity and courage. I am not the same person who left here two weeks ago.

I again had an opportunity to witness what a truly remarkable and absolutely amazing young lady I have raised.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is a memory I will ALWAYS hold in my heart.

LDD!

Mum,

Jay said...

Yess your bathing suit it everything. the first picture of your jump is priceless.

Jemima said...

So Joi is your big little sister. Don't get her mad she'll knock you out. You look absolutely FIERCE and GORGEOUS in that black crochet bikini, profile it SOMEWHERE please?! It's giving me so much life. I didn't know you had an Ozzie little sissy she's adorableee. You're so cool. The end.

evita. said...

Good stuff in here. You'd fit right in, in the Tribe.

CouponAvenger said...

Grea pictures, very cool that your biological fam got to hook up with you Aussie fam. Looks like you showed your mom and sister a wonderful time.

Nya Anne said...

Evita, that is lovely to hear from you! I have to hurry back to Facebook, I'm missing the Tribe.

Bernie, it was def a highlight in being there. Reminds me that I was really only a flight away. Mum even talks about living there one day, maybe I showed her too much of a good time. LOL!

Nya Anne said...

Oh and Jay & Jemima, thanks for admiring the bathing suit! I actually found it at a Thrift Shop on the Gold Coast. All of $5. Hell yeah!

Post a Comment