27 November 2010

Come Get Summi'This

I never quite understood why people set aside valuable time just to climb Machu Picchu, Mount Shasta, or Mount Fuji. Hell, any mountain for that matter. What could you possibly get out of a lengthy, overrated, sweaty, and tiresome tour through the unknown? Surprise! I actually have an answer: Pride, clarity, and humility. It took me some time to get to this priceless conclusion because the feeling is nearly indescribable, but I reckon this was a good attempt?

Last night, I attended the Exploration Society's "Yawning at Mt. Warning". The group met up at midnight, book bags in hand and courage in heart, ready for our adventure. Waivers were inevitable, although one drunk student had a problem with signing the sheet. I suppose since he was drunk, his signature was the most important of them all. But why did the waiver ask for a "Witness"? Excuse me, but you didn't need a witness when I paid. I politely wrote "grown woman" in the provided space. Ha! We arrived at the base of Mt. Warning about 2AM, received our complimentary apples and bananas and listened for our pep talk. (Note: The ride was an hour but Mt. Warning is in New South Wales, which is an hour ahead). Anywho, we soon began our journey to the top. About 30 minutes in, I realized why they emphasized being fit. I was sweating profusely, my legs were beginning to tremble and soon, my right leg went numb.
No sense of time or direction. Just the trail before me held in the glimmer of my flashlight. 
Once I forgot about my poor little foot and frantic breathing patterns, I enjoyed conversations about the splendours of the world with my immediate colleagues. Stephanie is from Vienna, Austria and Frank, quite the witty fellow, is from the Netherlands. Who else could bask in talks of travel, culture, and history?

I learned the true meaning of "mind over matter". Sure, we hear the saying from time to time and it gives us that extra umph! I knew I could not turn back nor did I wish to give up. The matter of the situation was that I was not fit and my body was crumbling beneath me as we trekked 4km to Summit. My mind reminded me of the joy I will feel having completed this hike. 2.4km remaining, 1.4km remaining, .4km remaining. Eventually, two things stood between the Summit and I; a thick silver chain and vertical sheer rocks. But, I did it and all I could do was smile to myself. The intentions were to watch the sunrise, but unfortunately the skies were grey. Hey, we were still able to snap some gorgeous shots while nibbling on brekky (Translation: breakfast). The hike back down seemed so much longer, but reaching the bottom seemed even more rewarding than the Summit...And then I cued "Golden" by Jill Scott.

And now, some pictures.

The group formerly known as Two.

Blurry and full of pride. My first moment at the Summit.

 Warning: A thick silver chain and vertical sheer rocks.

Sunrise thwarted but still a beautiful view.

Look, the sun!

Vivid greens, humbling highs.

Imagine this at night...

....& reaching the Summit in 1.5 hours.

WHEW!

Wherever I choose to go, it will take me far. I'm livin' my life like it's golden...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love reading your blog!!! You're definitely living the life and experiencing things I only read/watch on TV (i.e. yesterday, i def saw some peeps hiking up a very dangerous mountain via my TV set...lawd i was scared for them). Anywho, keep giving us deets about your Aussie adventures. Also, the pics are marvelous. Can't wait to read the next post!

Jemima said...

I cosign her ^^ completely.

I am absolutely in love with this entry. I know the feeling. I felt it once climbing mountains in Haiti and then another time when we tackled this trail in VA. I'm so proud of you and I enjoy your pictures as always. What did you pack in your backpack? Was there a checklist, or was it to each his own?

Nya Anne said...

Thank you so much ladies!

Janel, I must definitely thank you for suggesting a travel niche for the site. I actually laughed aloud when you said you were scared for them! Funny, I'd watch this on TV and never imagine ever being in that situation.

Twinny, each person was advised to carry their own backpack. I brought an extra pair of sweatpants for when we reached the Summit (it was SO cold by that time), flashlight, snacks (rice cakes and a chocolate bar), a bottle of Vitaminwater and another regular bottle of water. Oh! And a beanie in case my head got cold =). The group who hosted the event brought portable stove tops and cooked us sausage and pancakes when we reached the top!

Jay said...

who is that girl with such long lovely locks? Love the last photo !

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. The pictures are so beautiful, but
most of all I love that you are having such
a wonderful time.I imagine it must be fun to
experience the different sensations of a new
country and all it's offering. " Live life like
it's golden".

Jemima said...

Okay sausage and pancakes makes more sense cause I was going to say that I KNOW you of all people did not survive on rice cakes and "A" chocolate bar ahahaha =)

Anonymous said...

Hey there lil miss Jill Scott!!! So where do I start...do I tell you how proud am I of you?.....NAHHH!!! You already know that. Should I tell you DAMN I LOVE THE PICS!!!!?....maybe, or maybe I should tell you I know that feeling of accomplishment. Just like you, I felt it after completing my mountain trek of Pocomacrete....Camp Pocomacrete that is, in New Jersey. LOL!!!
No I think I will tell you that while reading your blogs, I'm beginning to see your growth, I see you getting closer and closer to your own epiphany, and that I am sooooo happy and honored to be a part of this journey. Awesome & inspiring....that's what you are to me.

Post a Comment