13 November 2010

The Wild Life

Australia is known for its venemous snakes, poisonous spiders, and wild kangaroos. Oh yeah, and their cheeky lingo! This morning, Morgan and I finally made our way to Currumbin Wildlife Center to learn more about the many animals. We caught the 8:55AM bus and arrived approximately 10:00AM, just in time for the Close Encounter Show! The dingos and mountain brushtail possoms were so cute!

Did you know Dingos are the largest land based predators on the continent?

Did you know the Mountain Brushtail Possom is a marsupial?

As we made our way around the park, we noticed an abundance of koalas. They were curled up in just about every branch. We waited, and waited some more. We were sure something amazing was going to happen. Perhaps, they would hang upside-down, do a trick, something! But they didn't. Still, you cannot deny how darling they are!  

Did you know Koalas are facing extinction?

Then there was a close encounter.

...Yes, I am holding a Koala and her name is Kozy...

The day went on. We stumbled upon some Kangaroos cooling in the shade. Yes! If I had a dollar for everytime someone asked me if I had either seen or rode in a kangaroo, I would have...well, I would have some pocket change. But now I can put an end to the tiresome inquiry. Anywho, I tip-toed around the mob (Translation: group of kangaroos) and found this one just waiting for the flashing lights -- 

Did you know populations have been found in Hawaii, New Zealand, and Great Britain?

And you guessed it, I got a bit closer...

...Say Cheese...

Our student vouchers gave us access to the Green Challenge, but it was way too hot to be in a jumpsuit swinging from ropes and making desperate attempts to tight-rope between trees! I really could go on and on about all of the animals I saw today. Instead, I will leave you with a few more photos. 

[ Cuckatoo]

[Tazmanian Devils]

[Rufous Owl]

[Crocodile w. Turtle Buddies]

[Dragonfly]
*Just thought it was a great photo opportunity

One last question, who knew life would get so...wild?

5 comments:

latha- said...

love the dragonfly shot somehow nya, it looks calm (: glad you had a ball back in the wild ;) i need to go there soon myself hahaha. EVERYONE talks about it currumbin all the time. xxxxxxx (:

The FAT GIRL Chronicles said...

Awww look at the kangaroo! and the pic with you and the Koala looks like a school picture lol too cute!

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Thanks for the info on Australia's
cute and exotic wild dare I use the word creatures.
I look forward to seeing more wonderful
pics and learning more about the vountry
down under

Emerald said...

Omg! To say Im jealous would be an understatement lol I think that California should un-cage some of its animals and permit people to have "close encounters" as well. I feel that this could be the beginning of an animal-friendly & educated society.

Thanks for sharing! If I have the opportunity to come out there, we MUST visit this zoo =)

Jemima said...

how'd you manage to look like each and every one of these creatures?! ahahaha that's amazing...you brought a whole new meaning to chameleon...or you're like the animal version of Mystique =p hehe but all jokes aside this seemed like a wonderful learning experience and I am happy that you enjoyed yourself immensely twinny. I'm also a fan of the dragonfly pic =) Keep enjoying yourself and venturing into the unknown. (Now be smart...that doesn't mean pull a little red riding hood on me now LOL. Anyways, love you and take care! <3

Post a Comment